COLONIAL

John & Elizabeth Macarthur
Australia Crest

Pastoralists who introduced the Merino sheep to Australia from the Cape of Good Hope, South Africa, in 1797. John is credited with pioneering the colony's wool industry..

They arrived in Sydney in 1790 with the Second Fleet as part of the NSW Corps, accompanied by 1,006 convicts.

On February 12th, 1793, John Macarthur was given a land grant of 100 acres near Parramatta, NSW. He named the land Elizabeth Farm after his wife.



Recently, an extraordinary collection of plant specimens collected by the Macarthurs' youngest son, Sir William, between 1839-48, was discovered pressed between the pages of an old atlas in a storeroom at the family's historic Camden Park Estate.

William Macarthur was one of the founders of the Royal Botanic Gardens.

The Macarthur home at Elizabeth Farm, built in 1793, is Australia's oldest dwelling house still standing.


Copyright © Dinkum Aussies 1999 All Rights Reserved,
feedback to Webmaster