erchant and pioneer settler, born in Scotland in 1769, to the Campbells of Duntroon Castle, and sailed for the new colony of NSW in 1798 after a cargo sent by his merchant firm was lost.
He leased land to the west of Sydney Cove and built warehouses and a wharf to set up trade between Sydney and India. These buildings still stand today.
Campbell was the collector of taxes and customs under Governor Bligh and in 1819 was one of the founders of the colony's first savings bank.
He was appointed a member of the Legislative Council from 1825-43.
In 1825 he settled in the area what is now Canberra and in 1834 was granted about 2,000 hectares of land.
He named the property Duntroon, after his ancestral home in Scotland, and it remained in the Campbell family until 1910 when the Commonwealth acquired the land and established the Royal Military College, Duntroon.
Robert Campbell died in 1846.